Junk removal is an industry growing in popularity. Yet most people have no idea how much junk removal will cost in the Greater Philadelphia area. Whether you’re a homeowner or a business owner, understanding the cost of junk removal is the most important step in decluttering and getting rid of unwanted items. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a closer look at the factors that influence junk removal costs. Then we will give example situations and rough estimate of what you can expect to pay.
Factors that Influence Junk Removal Costs
The cost of junk removal in the Greater Philadelphia area is influenced by several factors. Not every junk removal company prices the same way so it’s important to ask each company how they charge. With that being said there are some common factors that will go into your junk removal cost, including:
- Volume of Junk: The volume of junk you are looking to remove is the most significant factor that influence the cost of your junk removal. The majority of junk removal companies use the space in the truck the items you are getting rid of take up to determine the price. The more junk you have, and the more volume it takes up, the more the cost will be.
- Type of Junk: The type of junk you are looking to remove may also plays a role in determining the cost of junk removal. Hazardous materials, such as batteries and chemicals, may require special handling and disposal, which can increase the cost.
- Heavy Weight Items: Some items that are overly heavy and dense. Some examples are pianos, concrete/construction debris, and weight sets. These may come with an additional charge since they do not take up a lot of volume.
- Distance: The distance between the pickup location and the disposal site or where the company is based out of can also affect the cost of junk removal. Most of the time junk removal companies have a geographic radius that they operate within. For some companies, they will travel outside of their typical service area for an additional charge. If a company does have a distance fee, it is worth while to see if there are any companies more local to your area to avoid this charge.
- Labor: Most companies factor in the labor cost in their standard volume pricing. However, for jobs that require significantly more time than what is typical, an additional cost may come into play. Some examples are if your junk is mostly loose items that need to be bagged up, is located in a hard-to-reach area, or requires special handling. With these, you can expect to pay an additional labor charge.
Average Cost of Junk Removal in Greater Philadelphia
After factoring in all of the above aspects, junk removal companies should be able to give you an accurate estimate over the phone of what the cost will be. The average range of junk removal costs in the Philadelphia area is between $150-700. The average junk removal job cost is $335. This range is because junk removal jobs can range from a single item pick up to a full house clear out.
To give you a better idea of what you can expect to pay for your specific junk removal, some typical examples are listed below based on the size of the job:
Single Item Pick Up/Minimum Charge
- single piece/multiple pieces who’s total volume is about the size of a couch
- Average Junk Removal Cost: $150-200
Furniture Set Removal
- bedroom set, dining room set, living room set
- roughly 3 pieces of bigger furniture and some smaller/misc.
- Average Junk Removal Cost: $250-400
Basement/Garage Clear Out
- full removal of entire contents of one section of the house, such as a basement or garge
- roughly 6-8 pieces of larger furniture and an assortment of smaller items/misc
- Average Junk Removal Cost: $550-700
Full House Clear Out
- removal of entire contents of a house including furniture and personal items
- typical of a 3 bedroom house with a basement
- Average Junk Removal Cost: $1,500-2,500
- multiple rooms in the house are unusable due to clutter
- varies greatly depending on the severity of the hoard
- Average Junk Removal Cost: $5,000-20,000
Tips for Lowering Junk Removal Cost
One positive aspect of junk removal is you have an influence on how much the job will cost. Below are a few ways you can lower the cost of your junk removal in the Greater Philadelphia area:
- Sort through your junk: Before scheduling a junk removal service, take the time to sort through your junk. Separate the items that you can donate or recycle from those that need disposal. If you choose this option, you will still need to confirm a donation center will be able to take these items. You will also need to see if they have a pick up service. A few organizations local to the Greater Philadelphia area include GreenDrop, GoodWill, and Community Warehouse Project. Assuming they do, this will not only save you money but also help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
- Schedule a pickup during non-peak hours: To save money on junk removal, consider scheduling a pickup during non-peak hours. Many junk removal companies offer discounted rates for pickups scheduled during off-peak hours. In addition, if you can go on a specific day/time that helps them fill their schedule efficiently.
- Bundle services: If you’re also in need of other services such as general labor or cleaning, consider bundling them with your junk removal service. Many companies offer discounted rates for bundled services that they offer. Not all companies offer other services aside from junk removal, but some do! Even if they don’t, they may partner with other companies that will give a discount if you use both of their respective services.
- Shop around: Finally, don’t be afraid to shop around for the best deal. Most junk removal companies will have a somewhat similar cost for a given job. However, it’s important to know that many of the bigger/national brands have higher operational costs. They therefore have to charge more for the same service. Compare prices from several different junk removal companies to ensure you’re getting the best price for your specific project.
In conclusion, the cost of junk removal in the Greater Philadelphia area can vary greatly depending on several factors. The main one being the volume of junk, followed by the type of junk, the distance, and the labor. It’s important to keep these factors in mind when planning your junk removal project. It’s also a good idea to shop around for the best deal.
When it comes to finding a reliable and affordable junk removal company, look no further than us here at Junk U. Our team of experienced professionals is dedicated to providing top-notch service at a fair price. We understand that every project is unique. We work closely with our clients to ensure that their specific needs are met.
So if you are looking to hire a junk removal company for your next project, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We offer free quotes, so you can get a better idea of what to expect in terms of cost. Contact us today, and let us take the stress out of your junk removal project. Call us at (484) 301-2442 or click the button below to fill a contact form. One of our removal specialists will reach out right away with a quote!