When searching for a place to store your items outside of your home, you’ll come across climate controlled storage units. Units with this feature tend to be a bit more expensive than ones without. And if you’re trying to save as much money as possible, you’d opt for the unit without climate control, right? What’s the worst that could happen? Answer: Irreversible damage is the worst that could happen. Certain items require climate control to maintain their structure and function. You could save money on the unit but end up with irreparably damaged items and either have to pay for new ones or suffer their loss. Wondering what requires climate controlled storage? You’re not alone. Here are the items you should store in a climate controlled storage unit and what will happen to them in a non-climate controlled unit.
Climate Controlled Storage Units: Do I Need One?
What is climate control?
Climate control is usually only offered with indoor storage units. It maintains humidity and temperature levels, between 55-80 degrees Fahrenheit, usually at the discretion of the facility. Fluctuating temperature and humidity work together to create moisture, the main culprit that could damage your belongings.
What should be stored in a climate controlled storage unit?
To gauge whether or not something would require climate controlled storage, you’ll have to consider how the piece would react in extreme temperatures and humidity. How would it react to moisture? Would it warp or crack from heat and cold? Would it discolor? Is it meant to be stored in a certain temperature? Is the piece valuable or would you be devastated if something happened to it?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you should opt for a climate controlled unit.
Items that require climate controlled storage:
- Vinyl Records
- Furniture (or anything made from wood, leather, wicker, or metal)
- Musical Instruments
- Medication and Medical Supplies
Why do these items need climate controlled storage?
- Electronics, DVDs/VHS: Heat will decrease their longevity. Cold will create condensation and cause damage.
- Vinyl Records: They will warp from heat and become brittle in the cold.
- Artwork: It requires consistent temperature to prevent warping and cracking
- Wood: Moisture from humidity causes expansion and contraction, which could leave behind cracks and warping.
- Leather: Freezing temperatures cause cracks.
- Wicker: Moisture causes expansion and contraction, creating warping and cracks.
- Metal: It will expand in heat and become brittle in extreme cold, to the point of breaking.
- Appliances: Pipes can crack in extreme cold.
- Antiques: See wood, leather, wicker, and metal.
- Cosmetics: Powders will crack from moisture. Ingredients will separate from heat.
- Wine: Heat will ruin the flavor.
- Musical Instruments: Depending on the instrument, they could dry out and crack, expand, or shrink.
- Photographs: Fluctuating heat and cold will cause deterioration and cracking.
- Clothing: Moisture will create mildew.
- Medication: Heat and cold affects their potency.
- Candles: Melting occurs in extreme heat.
Where you’re storing matters.
Consider the weather patterns of your storage location that will occur during your rental period. If you know you’ll only need storage for a few mild weeks or months, you can opt for a unit without climate control. But if your unit rental will span several seasons, you should rent a climate controlled unit. Regardless of the length of your rental, when storing items in a state with extreme heat, like Arizona or Florida, or with extreme cold, like Maine or Minnesota, you should opt for a climate controlled storage unit.
Once you’ve determined whether or not you need a climate controlled storage unit, it’s time to rent a unit and move everything in. And Moving U & Junk U can help make that process easier. Whether you want us to move everything or only one or two of the heavier pieces, we’ll tailor our service to fit your needs. Our friendly, professionally trained movers will take care of all the heavy lifting and make your life easier on moving day.
Services We Provide:
To get your free estimate for packing, moving, or junk removal, give us a call or text at 484-301-2442 or email us at email@example.com.